Did I Just Do 26.2?

Portland Marathon

I haven't completed a full marathon since 2005 and when I tried again in 2006, I was medically pulled from the course at mile 22.  I felt I had unfinished business, but I've had a very inconsistent training season.  The interruptions of very hot weather over the summer, fires that caused unhealthy air quality and my nagging hip/sciatic issue has led to running some half marathons and hardly doing any training during the week.  So, needless to say, on the ride down to Portland, I was TERRIFIED!  So terrified, I nearly walked up to the information booth to switch to the half marathon.  But, I kept thinking...how would I feel if I dropped down.  I would feel disappointed for sure, sad that I let my confidence waiver, and I would be SO behind on long run training for NYC too.


So, I tried to calm my nerves and prepare for the long day.  I was in the last corral, very last one.  I observed those gathering in to our holding area and struck up conversations with a couple of ladies who were wearing marathon bibs.  I confessed that I didn't feel ready and was a little worried how the day might go. One of the women I spoke with felt the same and we ended up doing several miles together late in the race. Sometimes it helps me to just talk the nerves out.

When the race started, I mentally had chopped the race into 5 - 5 miles and then the final 1.2.  I started pretty strong and ran most of the first mile before getting ready to do ratios.  Well, guess what, my Garmin wasn't on my wrist!  I had left it charging in the hotel.  Uh oh.  Minor panic moment as I knew I wouldn't be aware of my pace, which I knew would be very slow.  I just wanted to stay ahead of the sweeper van.  The bridge was my favorite part even though it is an incline.  I got to cheer on the faster runners on their way back and the views were a nice distraction.




Through mile 24.5 and after a TON of walking, I was feeling good and so close to the finish.  I was almost to that final 1.2 and then the sweeper van pulled up behind me.  Oh no!  It freaked me out for a minute and as I was getting closer to 25, he finally passed me.  We ended up being moved to a sidewalk at that point and due to construction, it got really confusing and I got lost!!!  After feeling like something wasn't quite right, I found my way back on the course and I stopped to wait for a lady running behind me, so we could stay together in case we got lost again.  She started to slow down quite a bit and that is when a guy from Portland caught up to me and he helped guide me all the way to the finish line.  We made it!  I couldn't believe I somehow completed 26.2 miles only partially trained.  Yes, I was very slow, but it proved to me that I can do more than I thought was possible.


The positives:
  • Portland swag is awesome!  At the finish, you get plenty of food and they had tons of it even for those of us finishing in the back of the pack.  After you cross the finish, they wrap you in a throw away type jacket, give you a rose, long sleeve finisher shirt and a pendant/coin. I missed seeing the pendant/coin booth, so the marathon is graciously mailing me one.
  • The medal is gorgeous!!!
  • Entertainment on the course was awesome and they had more bands/groups than the Rock n Roll series.  I didn't even use my headphones until about mile 14.
  • Volunteers stuck around even during the later hours of the race.
  • A gentleman I saw cheering around mile 14 gave the best advice ever, "your will to keep going just has to be a little bit more than wanting to quit and that will get you to the finish".  I thought about that statement for probably the next 10 miles.
  • Race was well organized. 




Room for improvement:
  • When you are walking quite a few miles and really close to the finish, it mentally takes the wind out of your sails when you have to move to the sidewalk to finish at mile 24.5 and there is construction in the way.  We had to cross the street to a different sidewalk that was open, which got us off track and we turned too soon, losing our way.  After being lost for about 1/2 mile, found our way back on course.  It was just a bit confusing.  The abandonment of all police at that point was tough with only a little over a mile left to go.
  • My lack of consistent training didn't help and that is something I have to own.  But, with less training, I still finished a marathon after 12 years of not even trying!  That is a pretty decent win!
I will be back next year for the half marathon!  I really enjoyed the event and want to enjoy the finish line a little more next year by finishing much earlier!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Extra!!! Good News!!!

Once You Go Skirt, You Never Go Back!

Runalicious! Little Rock Weekend!