Seattle Marathon 10K Recap


I hit a snag in training with a nagging injury, so I was so excited to get back in the race...the Seattle Marathon 10K that is.  As a Seattle Marathon Ambassador and knowing my injury was going to put a wrench in my normal finish time, I decided to truly enjoy the journey of the 6.2 miles and meet as many people as I could along the way.  After all, I'm a social runner and that is when I enjoy it the most anyway.  Let's face it, I'm not a candidate for the Boston Marathon.


 Some of the Seattle Marathon Ambassadors volunteering the day before the race


The family pitched in to support the event and helped stuff the goodie bags for the runners!  Baylen and Jayden learned a little about assembly line kind of work as they were voluntold to join in.  It's always nice to have support of your family and seeing them take part in something important to you.




Race Day is Here!!!!  

 Why the Seattle Marathon 10K was awesome?

You can't have a race without port-a-potties!  Michelle and I thought this was the perfect photo to capture pre-race rituals.  All runners know the importance of these Honey Bucket's on race day.  I believe it was John Bingham that once spoke at a race event and told us to get in line for the port-a-potty before the race and then when you are done, get back in line again.  That's great advice for Seattle Marathon day, for a 10K one time will do.
The Seattle Marathon 10K starts at Gas Works Park, can you think of a better view before the race?  Absolutely beautiful!  A great place to relax before the race!  Of course, the next best place to start a race is at Seattle Center right at the Space Needle and that is where you will start on Seattle Marathon day!

 A few sights along the course...gorgeous section along the water, cheerful volunteers!  One thing I love to do on course is talk to the volunteers and thank them for their time.  I like to crack jokes and make them smile.  Very thankful for all the support on the 10K course!  
 

And look at the view!!!! I'm a sucker for views along the water when I run.  It helps relax me and I enjoy the scenery and forget if I have a little ache or feel a little tired.  I stopped several times on the route back to Gas Works Park to capture these beautiful views. 

I spent time on the course talking to so many people...a couple of ladies from Michigan who were in town visiting family, a young lady from Dallas in town for a wedding, a group of kids training for the Seattle Half Marathon, a couple of local girls who were thinking about trying the Seattle Half Marathon in November, a group of girls from Nike Running Club and spent some time with my fellow ambassadors.  Knowing this run was going to be a social affair and not a race for time as I iron out my injury issues, I reminded myself of the fun of running...seeing people smile on the course, taking in gorgeous views along the water, making new friends, watching people achieve goals both big and small, and achieving my own goal of just finishing the race strong. 

Although I was about 15 minutes slower than my normal 10K time, my Seattle Marathon Ambassador friends were waiting for me at the finish line!  That is what running is about, doing what you can do on any given day and supporting one another through the journey. I can't wait to see who I will meet at the Seattle Marathon!  There will be lots of time to chat and find new friends on the course.


What about post-race?  The after race fun must include donuts!  These Hot Revolution donuts will be at the Seattle Marathon and Half Marathon race too!!! I can't wait!!!  They were so a-mazing that the ones I bought for my family were eaten by volunteers tearing down the packet pick-up area.  It's all good, the kind gentleman from Hot Revolution Donuts found out my donuts "disappeared" and made a whole new batch for me to give my boys when they picked me up. 

Thanks Seattle Marathon for a great 10K race!  I cannot wait to see what is in store for Seattle Marathon day!  I hope you will join me on November 27th!!!  There are still spots available and I would love to have you join us whether this is your first marathon or half marathon or your 100th. 
Register here: http://www.seattlemarathon.org/








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Extra!!! Good News!!!

Once You Go Skirt, You Never Go Back!

Runalicious! Little Rock Weekend!