Caldera Triple Challenge Part I: Grand Teton Half Marathon

I've had a tough training year so far with a nagging IT Band issue and continued pain along the sciatic nerve.  So, I hadn't trained as well as I wanted for the Grand Teton Half, Yellowstone 5K, and Yellowstone Half Marathon.  They were back to back events, so no time for much rest in between.

Grand Teton Half Marathon



Before the half marathon, we spent a day exploring Grand Teton National Park.  It was so beautiful and we hiked around a little lake.  I was really happy to see snow still on the peaks and in the parking lots in places too!  I could tell the elevation was getting tougher on my lungs as we did some light hiking.  It made me a little nervous for race day.


 We hung out in Jackson Hole downtown area where we had some really awesome food!  We even found an awesome dessert spot with very fancy looking chocolates. 

Jackson Hole is an interesting town, definitely sprinkled with that old west feel. 








This has to be the best photo shoot during our trip.  The pre-race jump shot and Caryn got the picture on the first try!  I'm so glad because I landed a little hard and wasn't sure I could do it again.  Already struggling with those nagging aches and pains, I really didn't need to make it worse.

Expo/Packet Pick Up

The day before race was of course the expo and packet pick up.  We found a smores station and this was our favorite!  This was probably the best idea Vacation Races included during packet pick-up day.  It was definitely a unique touch and nothing I had experienced at any other race expo.  They were yummy too!

 I couldn't help but take a picture of the Triple Caldera sign, notice the fine print "crazy people".  Everyone in this line was doing the Grand Teton Half, Yellowstone 5K and Yellowstone Half.  As we waited in line, a gentleman who had run it before shared with us that the course is actually not as bad as the elevation chart looked and I was relieved.  Then he decided to tell us how hard the Yellowstone Half would be next weekend.  Not sure I needed to hear that but I actually had no idea it was a trail race until he told us about it.  A trail with rocks and hills and maybe bears?  Uh oh. 


Another nice touch was the names on a poster of all the participants in the shape of the national park.  I bought the poster because I just couldn't resist.



 

Race Day


Now, we come to race day and we had to be up super early in the morning as the race started at 6:30 a.m.  The drive to the shuttle bus wasn't far but we didn't know if there would be enough parking spots, so we arrived really early.  I think we were the first or second car in the parking lot.

Caryn, Patty, and I were ready to go.  The wait was a little long and it was pretty cold outside, so we were anxious to get going on the course.  Although I didn't have any, they did have hot drinks available.  Another nice touch.  The elevation was really tough for me.




Once we started, I had trouble breathing so I kept up with run/walk for the first probably 5 miles.  Then, I had to take some longer walking breaks.  I am usually very social and talk to people on the course, but just couldn't get out a whisper. 



Although I had trouble breathing, the views were beautiful the whole way and I hit a long downhill stretch where I felt a little better jogging.  Caryn had stopped at the bathroom though so I couldn't get too far ahead, so I jogged a little but mostly walked so she could catch up.  The prettiest part of the course was going across the bridge as I really love running over water.  The sound is relaxing.



I was hurting and walking slower by mile 13 and just couldn't wait to be done!  We crossed the finish line and they provided us a cute snack box.  I really liked the finish line area.  They had it set up like you were exiting the national park and that was fun. 





We did it! 





















The celebratory drink was great and the medal was pretty special too.  It was made of wood with a medal insert. 



Vacation Races gives you a free finisher photo, which is just awesome!  After wearing my medal for 10 minutes or so, I noticed at brunch that it was cracked!  It was so delicate that I wrapped it for the ride home where it actually completely broke on the airplane ride.  The good news is that I was returning for Yellowstone the following week, so the race traded me for a new one. 

Next up....Yellowstone Half Marathon Weekend for Part II of Caldera Triple!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Extra!!! Good News!!!

Once You Go Skirt, You Never Go Back!

Runalicious! Little Rock Weekend!