Stress Less Week! Running for Self-Care


As we celebrate Stress Less Week starting April 17th, I thought I would take a moment to share one of the ways I take care of me in the midst of deadlines, mommy stress, busy schedules and stressful workdays. My favorite way to relieve all the stress is running. I'm not fast. I'm not out to win a race.  My win is getting the chance to clear my mind.  My win is the energy I feel after jump starting my day with a run or pausing in the middle of the day for a jog on the trail or feeling a sense of accomplishment at the end of a runcation (running vacation).  It gives me that moment to center myself, re-energize and also, connect with others I enjoy being around.


Why is running my choice for self-care?  Let me count the ways...

1.  Running gives me permission to spend 30 minutes to an hour alone and free from mom duty, housework and job responsibilities for that moment in time.

2.  Running also gives me a way to connect with my husband and children by making some running events "family time" that we enjoy together.

3. Running releases endorphins and puts me in a good mood!  Even on the days when I'm bogged down and don't feel like going out for a run, I always have the same reaction when I do it anyway - I feel amazing!  It lifts my mood, gives me energy to be productive and calms my nerves.

4. Running helped me develop new relationships with encouraging people who have become true friends. Sometimes running turns into therapy sessions or much needed social time as we catch up.

5. Running has increased my confidence.  Knowing that I can conquer mile after mile helps me feel confident that no matter what stress I encounter, I will be okay.

6. Running allows me the chance to connect with nature.  I love running in beautiful places and living in Washington State, there are many beautiful places to run.

7. Running gives me time to focus on my spiritual health. I often talk to God during my run when I'm running solo.

8. Running has helped me sleep better at night.  When I'm running on a regular basis, I tend to get more sound sleep and wake up with more energy.

9. Running has been a way to give back.  I have participated in marathon and half-marathon races while fundraising for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as part of Team in Training.  Most recently, I ran for Homes for our Troops, which helps fund home renovations for wounded veterans.  Running for something or someone gives you extra endorphins!

10. Running helps me stay healthy.  With heart disease on both sides of my family, I feel this is one way I take care of me and reduce the risk of adding more stress to my life due to health problems.


During Stress Less Week, make time for you and practice self-care!  I hope you will also encourage those around you to do the same.  #StressLessWeek #runningforselfcare


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Extra!!! Good News!!!

Once You Go Skirt, You Never Go Back!

Runalicious! Little Rock Weekend!