Trading Races

I think a trick was played on me last weekend.  I ran the Whidbey Island Half Marathon in 2013 and was in awe of the views, loved running to along the water at points along the course and the weather was just about right for a long run.  But, I remember the monster hills at the END of the half marathon.  Yes, I said the END!  At least when hills are in the beginning, you can get them over with and regain your energy for the rest of the race along the way.  So, remembering this, I thought "they have a 10K, I'll just sign up for that and avoid those horrendous hills on the half."  So, I set out my Skirt Sports Outfit, my cute, flirty vixen capri and eclipse tank.  Isn't it cute? 

www.skirtsports.com

I thought I was so smart skipping those hills this year.  You can start laughing now!  I hid in a little coffee shop near the start to escape the chilly air and overheard someone talking about "the hills" and she had a 10K bib on, so I cut in and inquired about the course.  Oh boy, the 10K course was exactly the part of the course I was hoping to never see again!  The joke's on me! 

I know what you are thinking...why didn't you look at the course map before you signed up. Well, I tried and it wasn't quite available yet when I decided to sign up.  I will be honest.  Even though I had run a half marathon the weekend before, I struggled on these 6.2 miles.  The hills did a number on my calf and it was in pain around mile 4, so I walked...A LOT!  I have my priorities straight...getting ready for Portland, New York City, and Seattle, no way could I risk an injury on a 10K course.

Long story short, I finished and finished not too far off of my pace.  I have a long way to go in training but hey, hill training is needed.  I can't be in denial that two of my half marathons and all of my marathons I'm training for have hills.  So, I have to suck it up buttercup and chalk it up to a great hill training run!

One more step closer to the Portland Marathon, New York City Marathon, and the Seattle Marathon!

Will you join me in Seattle? #runsea16


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Extra!!! Good News!!!

Once You Go Skirt, You Never Go Back!

Runalicious! Little Rock Weekend!