Starting Over!

The Start Line is Here...

I know I'm not the only runner with an injury sob story and I'm recovering the best I can from some sciatic issues and plantar fasciitis.  But, spring racing season is upon us and time to test out my legs who have been on such a long break.  In early March, I completed the Hot Chocolate 5K, which was just a warm up run for future weeks and hot chocolate is a ton of fun, so it was a great way to jump back into the game.

March Races

Hot Chocolate 5K 




Then, right after St. Patrick's Day, I traveled to a race in Vancouver, WA...the Couve Clover Run and although I was slow, my first two miles were at pre-injury pace.  I hit mile 1 and heard the voice on my Nike app say "10 minutes 26 seconds"...at that point I reminded myself to slow down and take it easy!  The next several miles got slower and slower until I had to walk.  But, I shocked myself and placed in the 7 mile race!  I got 3rd place in my division and an awesome medal to celebrate the accomplishment!  I've never won an award at a race before, so this was a very special moment to remind me that I can still do this.  Still a LONG way to go, endurance and consistency to build, but pretty happy that I came home with an extra medal in addition to the participant medal. 

Couve Clover Run



The weekend after the 7 miler, I opted to do the 5K at the Hop Hop Half and 5K event.  I really wanted to do the half, but my legs aren't quite ready.  So, I hopped to the finish with not my best 5K time by a long shot!  But, it was another race down on this continued journey toward the NYC Marathon and the perks were pretty cool - mimosas, croissant sandwiches and cinnamon rolls at the finish line.  

 Hop Hop 5K in Portland



 Pre and post race shots!  I'll definitely be back to run the Hop Hop Half when the foot and leg are fully healed and cooperating!  It was a beautiful day, Mt. Hood was in view and there was no rain like the previous weekend! Following the run, we went on a 5 mile hike at Multnomah Falls, just because. 

5-mile Hike at Multnomah Falls




On a runner's high through March, lots of great races and places!  First placement in a race ever and it happened to be a 7-mile race!  The journey continues toward NYC Marathon with plenty of races in April!  To be continued... 

See you in April!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Extra!!! Good News!!!

Once You Go Skirt, You Never Go Back!

Runalicious! Little Rock Weekend!