Wrapping Up a Lackluster Year

When Goals Aren't Reached it can be hard to swallow, particularly when you are an achiever and Type A personality. I must say that 2018 didn't exceed my expectations and I barely stumbled to achieving a few goals. But, I wouldn't be fair to myself if I only focused on what didn't go well. After qualifying for Marathon Maniacs at the end of 2017, I had high hopes 2018 would be even better. I didn't plan for some health issues and just life getting in the way. But, you know the saying, "Life Happens" and that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Accomplishments Toward Big Goals

It wouldn't be right to dismiss the goals I did reach this year. I still accomplished some cool things and learned a good lesson too. You are not less than if you have to drop down your distance from a half marathon to a 10K or 5K.
  1. Completed a half marathon in Indiana, Idaho, and Oklahoma (checking off three more states toward my 50 states goal)
  2. Learned how to take care of myself and come to terms with dropping down to a 10K or 5K when I needed to. (This is a hard one, but I am learning to be realistic and not be ashamed of those decisions)


Marathon Maniacs and Half Fanatics at Route 66, can you see me? lol


I planned to run the 5K and Half Marathon,
but had to stick with 5K only this year.

Brighter Days Ahead

I have been going, going, going for the past several years and typically completed at least a half marathon a month and sometimes three marathons in three consecutive months, but it is okay to have a year to rest, recoup, and reconnect with realistic goals. Moving forward, I am excited to get back on track and have my sights on new goals in 2019 to include taking care of myself and setting goals that fit who I am as an athlete. So, here goes nothing...my goals for 2019:
  1. Conquer half marathons in New Mexico, North Dakota, Michigan, and Kansas (checking off several new states on the 50 states list)!
  2. By the end of the year, achieve a sub 3 hour half marathon again! My PR is 2:32 and that is not currently my goal (maybe someday it will be again). Just a 2:59:59 will do.
  3. Increase my dedication to training by training at least three days during the week and one day on the weekend. 
  4. Be kind to myself when I fall short, but don't settle for less than my capability.
So, there you have it! Not too many goals. Not too few. They are just right for me to ring in 2019. What are your 2019 goals?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Extra!!! Good News!!!

Once You Go Skirt, You Never Go Back!

Runalicious! Little Rock Weekend!