First Double Half Marathon Weekend



Race 1: Oregon Summer Half Marathon

I've done plenty of back to back 10K and Half Marathons and thought that was my limit but in July, I took on a new challenge and decided to try a double half marathon weekend.  The first race was the Oregon Summer Half Marathon put on by Uberthons and honestly, it was a beautiful run!  They shuttled us to the top of this hill in a state park, lush scenery all around and an awesome downhill start!  The race was extremely organized.  The photo below is from the start line.


Wearing my Skirt Sport Mod Quad in Clarity print 




I honestly give Uberthons an above and beyond award and this is why.  I was driving from about 2.5 hours away and arrived at 10 p.m. that night when packet pick-up ended hours earlier.  I happened to book a room at the hotel where they were hosting packet pick-up and I very apologetically asked if it might be possible to leave my packet at the front desk.  Not expecting a positive response, they did just that!  I've never heard of a race company being so accommodating and wow, what a relief for me to not have to try and scramble in two directions on race morning.

They shuttled us to the start where there were REAL bathrooms!  If you run, you know that is a perk you don't expect.  They had port-a-potties too but I didn't have to use them. The little things that mean so much.

The race started off great and although I am battling some ongoing hip issues and sciatic pain, I cruised down the hill and was well ahead of my pace for the first 4-5 miles.  Then, I settled in to a little slower pace through a beautiful forest...the trees provided a welcome shade, blocking the heat of the sun in most places.  I was feeling great until around mile 8 and started to feel pretty warm.  Somewhere after mile 10, I gladly grabbed the ice water washcloth at a water stop and ended up placing it on my neck for a bit and then securing it on top of my head, held in place by my Skirt Sports Ambassador visor.   I was really hot and started walking.  The temperature had surged to about 86 degrees but I finished, enjoyed the beautiful course and at the finish line, they had hamburgers and lemonade!  That was impressive!

During the race, I found a girl wearing Skirt Sports and then found here at the finish line!  There is nothing like Skirt Sports love and I've meet so many people on courses and at the finish because of our love for Skirt!

 Race 2: West Seattle Beach Run

After traveling home from Oregon, I had a limited amount of rest before getting up at the crack of dawn the following morning, driving an hour to West Seattle, and preparing for half marathon #2.  I started early because my hip was really bothering me and I knew I would have to walk.  I absolutely loved this race!  It is a small, community feel type of run where everyone was doing various distances from 50K to marathon to 25K to half marathon.  I jogged about a mile and then caught up to another injured runner who was walking.  Although it took me an hour longer than usual to complete this run, I was thrilled to have someone to talk to the whole way.  We stopped and enjoyed otter pops at the water stop twice, stopped to chat with other runners, enjoyed the gorgeous views and then finished along the beach with a full spread of the most random and amazing snacks ever. I had to get home, so I grabbed a bag of skittles and a sip of soda, which I never drink soda but somehow Coke sounded good.  I loved the medal, it has orcas on it!  I didn't see any orcas along the course but I did find a raccoon, what in the world?  I will do this race every year, the views, camaraderie, and supportive running community made this a favorite race.  The have one in February and one in July, so check them out.

Check out these awesome views!







  The best part of the water stop - Otter Pops!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Extra!!! Good News!!!

Once You Go Skirt, You Never Go Back!

Runalicious! Little Rock Weekend!